Saturday, October 18, 2014

Life happens and you move on

All this time and it is still difficult to handle it: CHANGE.
Career change, lifestyle change, new boy-ex-friend; new temporary locations, "no" time, no downtime anymore...

I travel frequently for work. When I travel I am in charge of 30+ people's travel arrangements that usually include: international flights, land transportation, and on occasion, water transportation.
It could probably be said that when I travel I become the mom of all the people I travel with.
It is difficult to make time to workout. I don't directly make the decisions of the food that is available, and that makes it difficult to keep a specific meal plan or keeping my eating habits the best they can be.

Yes. All of these are excuses. Excuses that we all use on a daily basis. I use them all the time. And to this day I am not exactly sure how or why I keep loosing weight. The reality is that I eat junk food all the time... I give in. The proof? I gained 10lbs in the last month. I was drinking every night, eating extra carbs for the races and really not giving a shit of the food I was putting on my mind. Not that I ever put so much effort in the first place.

I am not exactly clear on how I keep on track with all the craziness. I do have noticed that I am more aware of the decisions I make regarding food. I negotiate with myself when I want something sweet. I try to share the sweet goodies instead of eating them all. There are however certain foods that just trigger binge eating (like Nutella... cakes...baked sweets...etc.) so I try to stay weary of them.
And even when I occasionally get them, I know is a bad decision. I know is bad. Do i stop myself? Not really. Not always. Lately, I do stop myself more often.


I try to use more the stairs and when I have a break, I jump around, swim, hop into as treadmill or simply take the longer route and go for a walk. I try to stretch every day, and when there is no workouts in sight, I stretch for longer periods.

I am nowhere close to where I wish I be. I have done half marathons, I do Spartan Races, I run 5ks and 10ks. So much more than I ever thought I could do, and yet my body does not change the way I wish it would.

Yes. I lost the weight, I'm good physical condition, I am healthy and I feel great. Why on earth is that  not enough? I know I can do better. I am happy for the road covered. The experiences lived. I am proud of myself. There is no questions about that. However, I am ambitious. I want to be stronger. I want to be leaner (but i have not put the amount of effort i need to).

And even when i hate this, there is a beauty in this getting fit/ healthy/ loosing weight journey. You can not fake being strong. You can not fake being in good physical condition. Yes, there are people out there with good genetics, great mind control and are able to achieve things quicker. I like is taking as much time as is taking. I am actually making changes that are sticking with me.

I am struggling, which means I keep trying. I am trying. Can i do a better job? Of course I can!
This journey has no deadline however (except the 15lbs I want to loose by December this year).

I tried so many times before to loose weight, but no technique/ method would work. And now I understand why: they are not designed for me. These diets, these methods are generic versions. A once size fits all. We forget however that is a "once size fits most". I keep educating myself on nutrition, on working out properly. This journey is MY JOURNEY. It has to be designed for me, by me! I am the only one that can listen to my own body. I am the only one that knows when I can keep pushing and when it is time to stop. I can as well say when a workout is too easy or when a change is not going to accomplish much. So evaluate yourself and assess your own routine and diet.

Usually all we need is to track everything we have done to identify what to change if we are not seeing results.

Change will happen. Want it or not. It is LIFE itself. Change is great even when it does not feels so great sometimes. Once we accept this, we can take it, not problems. Nothing last forever, not even pain. It is better to change because you want to, than because you need too.

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment