Friday, October 10, 2014

It's not cliché if it is true!

Dear Self:

Today we remember how we improved our eating habits, and how are a going to keep improving them! Is all about the choices and the small changes. They make a difference, and the better choices, the more food you can have! (once a fatty always a fatty!).

Something I have learned from my journey to fitness is one thing: people are still waiting for a magic pill or trick to loose weight.

It might not look like a lot, or it might not be fast enough, but I have
 enjoyed every single moment of this journey.
It is a bit disappointing to see the face of disappointment of the family, friends and acquaintances that ask me "how you lost the weight?" and my response is simple: "Diet and exercise."
No, I don't do crash diets, and I did not changed things from one day to the other. To this day I am still changing things, remember how I gained 10 pounds the last month? Is not because of just sitting on the couch... that does not help, but I have gone back to ignoring the wiser voice within me that advice me to make better choices... why? Well, I think I am upset with her... but that is a long story... probably a never ending story...

The point is, that in order to make the weight go away for once and for all YOU HAVE TO CHANGE. Period. Nothing else will do it.

I decided to tackle my weight problem one step at a time. First I wanted to increase physical activity. I focused on just getting myself to the gym and work out for 30 minutes daily, Sundays were optional. I started in the mornings. I would wake up at 5am and head to the gym. Half awake will hop into the elliptical and after 2 minutes I would be completely awake and just working out. I put on my headphones and just stopped my thoughts for 30 minutes. Suddenly without me realizing, those 30 minutes became my time, no one else's.

Three months passed and I was so used to got to the gym, I missed when I didn't went.
Please note that I made this time MY time. And I think it helped me  enjoy it even more. I started to like hanging out with just me.

Second step was to improve my diet. And to be honest to this day I struggle.
And I struggle because I was taught that to loose weight, you have to starve yourself, eat less so they say.

Nothing more wrong than that! I started tackling BREAKFAST! I started adding veggies into it. Veggies and fruits. I started cutting my bread portions in half. And as a born and raised Latina this is a big deal. No more pan in the mornings! What!?
My body started to get used to the new foods in the morning and I started noticing how I wouldn't crave as much for sweets. The days I missed breakfast? All over the place! Looking for food and sugar everywhere.

I noticed that I could eat so much more if I stick to smart choices! If I had egg whites with spinach and berries in the morning I could snack mid morning, have a tasty lunch (usually my biggest meal) and snack again, have dinner and snack again! Heaven for a foodie like me.

So after a few months of teaching myself these tricks, I saved some money and hired Cesar, my trainer. I met with him again, and it was a match made in heaven. Turns out he struggled with weight before becoming a personal trainer. He understood the struggle. And being Hispanic, he understood my requirement of preserving the goods: my bootie!

We met once a week for 3 months. He advised me to log my meals using My fitness pal (nope, not getting paid by them to post this, but It has been very helpful!) and stick to a caloric goal. It took me forever to listened (I am a bit stubborn) but once I started, the pounds slowly but surely starting to go away.

Cesar and I became friends. And during one of he conversations I mentioned how I wanted to do an obstacle running race. I have always wanted to. But  being out of shape I did not wanted to do one by myself. Turns out he was doing one with his friends in August, it was May. If I signed up I would only have a few months to prepare. And being out of shape and all (better shape than before but not there yet) I was terrified. I signed up. And this changed my life forever.

I will talk about my life change experience soon. For now at that moment I was making wiser choices. I was monitoring alcohol intake-- I mindless eat when drunk-- I was going to a therapist to control and manage anxiety and work with my depression. I was keeping track on everything I ate and I was putting my well being ahead of everything.

Nothing was holding me back, not even thoughts. I would complement people If I wanted to, even when sometimes the complements where slightly inappropriate. What a girl can do? If I think my trainer has a nice behind, why not tell him? He worked hard for his body, he deserves his hard work be acknowledge.

In any case, that is for today!

Self-


No comments:

Post a Comment